Wednesday 31 October 2012

OCTOBER!


Well, it’s been a month since I’ve updated.. oops! But let’s be real, is anyone that shocked that I procrastinated on something?

I’ve been taking notes about what I’ve been doing and going through them now and realizing that I’m really boring! So, I’m completely stoked about telling you all about the notes I took!


So at the end of September/beginning of October I was nice and sick. It was fun, I lost my voice really bad and I sounded really funny. Also, I paid $50 to sit in a chair for a minute and a half, have a doctor look at my throat and feel my throat only to tell me I had a virus and needed fluids and rest, thanks doc! But, she was right and I got better eventually.


Here’s some exciting news: close to the end of September I signed up for graduation! I will be graduating from ASU on December 20, 2012. HOLY COW. When did that happen? It’s very exciting, slightly nerve racking that I don’t have a job or an idea of what to do after, but exciting none-the-less!


This month the homework really started flowing, I wrote 3 papers and had 2 tests. For Intercultural Marketing, I had to write a case study paper and got an A- on it. I was happy with that! I also had a test where I didn’t do fantastic on but I got a 76%. I’ll do better next time for sure. I can’t decide whether I like that class or not, it’s kind of interesting but it’s also slightly boring and the test didn’t really seem to get many answers from the lectures so that’s slightly frustrating. But, I do feel like I am learning from it. In Cross Cultural Communication I’ve now written a total of 3 papers. The first one was just an intro paper and she gave everyone a 4.5/5 on it. On the second paper, we had to write about influences on our identity (cultural, personal, and social identity) and I struggled on this one, a lot. My mind was occupied by other things so it took a while to get going but I finally did and finished it at 3am the day before it was due. Again, shocker. But I ended up getting an A- on it! Score. The third paper I wrote just last week and we had to write about 2 cross cultural experiences and how they relate to cross cultural communication so I talked about that along with the importance of intercultural competence. I’m still waiting for the grade on that one, but I’m crossing my fingers for a good mark! The other test that I had was in my Learning Through Internships course and it was just an essay exam, I got a 14.5/15 on it, and yes mom, that is a 96%, thank you very much! So overall I would say school is going really well!


On to my internship. It’s going well! I’m still doing lots of administrative tasks like making flyers, putting together websites, updating newsletters, sending letters, managing the VIP club thing and whatnot. The only new news I really have is that my boss is going out of town and I’ll be doing her job. I’ll still be supervised, but I’ll have a lot more responsibility which is awesome, but definitely nerve racking. I’m excited to be getting the experience for sure! I definitely feel like I am getting a lot out of it and I think they are happy with me too! Mainly because they told me today that they are happy with me. I figure they trust me enough to do the job, so that has to mean something! Oh, and I got to do a champagne tasting the other day at work and it was awesome, so there’s that.


Mid October was spring break here! It was awesome, I went to Cairns for 4 days. A bunch of CAPA went but I went with Mollie and Morgan and we stayed in a different hostel than everyone else. So in saying that, I stayed at a hostel! It was an experience.. interesting, but I’m not going to lie wouldn’t be bummed if I didn’t stay in one again haha. It really wasn’t that bad, we had 5 other roommates from all over the world and they were barely ever there. We weren’t there that much either, but anyways! So the main reason I went was to snorkel! At none other than the Great Barrier Reef! It was incredible, we went on an hour and a half boat ride to the first reef and snorkeled there which was really cool. Then after a while we went back inside and had a buffet lunch and then headed to the next reef which was called Hastings Reef (I think) and that one was incredible! As we were sitting on the back of the boat ready to jump into the water, there was a school of fish right in front of us and they were jumping out of the water out us! It was insane! I never thought I’d be afraid of a little fish, but it was scary being in their territory, I promise. Anyways, that reef was the best, it was SO gorgeous and the water was SO clear. Words can’t do it justice, pictures barely can either. I really think everyone needs to do that. 100% worth the time and money. After the second reef we had a 2 hour boat ride back complete with live entertainment by ‘Lucky Phil,’ the boats chef and entertainer. All in all it was an amazing day, and I slept like a baby that night too. The rest of my time in Cairns I spent walking around, sunbathing at the lagoon (because who’d-a-thunk, there aren’t any beaches in Cairns, woops!) and also, HOLDING A KOALA! Which was so fun, we only got to hold Harvey for a couple seconds but it was totally worth it, he was adorable! After that I headed back to Sydney, and thoroughly enjoyed sleeping in a bed with clean sheets in a room by myself. The rest of spring break was pretty laid back, I slept and watched tv and studied for the test I had on Monday after break.
EXCEPT! On the Friday I went surfing at Manly beach! It was SO much fun and I would love to do it again! I got on my knees on my first try and on my feet on the second! I only did it for like and hour or an hour and a half and I was sore for like 4 or 5 days, it hurt to move haha. But it was awesome, I want to do it again. But my next challenge is snowboarding! Katie and Zach? This winter? Ehhhh?

Well, I can’t believe I only have a month left here. BUT, I have lots of stuff planned and I’m super excited for it all. I’m going to see Sculpture by the Sea at Bondi this weekend and hopefully do the costal walk from Bondi to Coogee. Saturday night is the Show at the Opera House!! And next weekend I’m doing to bridge climb! WOO!! So yeah, definitely lots to look forward to still. But I definitely can’t believe how fast the time has FLOWN by and I feel so ridiculously fortunate to be able to have done this.


MISS YOU ALL!

Here are some pictures for your viewing pleasure!



aboriginal dude at the harbor!



the BEAUTIFUL ocean and reef!




Mollie and I!




the lagoon at Cairns




part of the surfing crew!


 chicka chicka yeah!

No comments:

Post a Comment